Meal Planning Link Ups

My friend Nell over at Whole Parenting Family has suggested we bloggers do a Saturday meal planning link up. Most friends I talk with have very high intentions, but somehow meal planning just doesn't happen, and our families end up eating the same foods over and over and over again.

I think knowing I have to publish a plan by Saturday will be a great way to keep myself on track in this area.  While I don't often have the 5PM rush of 'what are we eating?!'  I do have the 10AM or 1PM rush - I like to pull out the meat and cook up dinner while Little M is either happy enough to play alone or during nap time, or at the very least, work on meal prep so the dinner hour isn't so harried and crazy.

It's only Thursday today, but I'm going to share a favorite family dessert recipe.  Ok, it's technically a breakfast food, but as Jim Gaffigan explains if it's "cake" for breakfast it's totally legitimate.

Cherry-filled Coffeecake

3 cups
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup sugar
1 cup butter
2 beaten eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp vanilla
1 can cherry pie filling (This morning I use strawberry - whatever you have on hand or prefer!)

Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and sugar.  Add butter and cut in as for pie dough.  (I always chill my butter and pastry blender first.)  Mix together the eggs, sour cream (or plain yogurt if that's what you have!), and vanilla.  (I always add 1/8 or 1/4 cup of milk to the sour cream mixture.  It makes it easier to spread in the pan.)  Combine the wet and dry ingredients and mix until smooth.  Spread 1/2 of the batter in a greased 9x13 pan.  Spread the pie filling on top.  Dollop or spread the rest of the batter.  This is sometimes a little sticky and messy - I recommend just using your hands to kinda mix it around.  It will still be delicious.)  Sprinkle crumb topping overall.

Crumb Topping:
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
2 tsp melted butter

Bake at 375 for 40 minutes.  Drizzle with a glaze of powdered sugar and milk.  Enjoy!  This is a big hit at brunches or for a office pick-me-up.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The baby years

Seven quick takes: Valentine's Day

Making a list and checking it twice