Crockpot Chicken Curry

The crockpot: It is probably the most under-utilized tool in my kitchen.  I know many women swear by their slow cooker to help them prepare healthy and tasty meals each night.  So, I am on an adventure to find some new recipes for my family!

Sundays in our house are often most stressful than I would prefer.  Getting the girls dressed, fed, and out the door for Mass is always an ordeal. (as it Mass itself with a 2 year old!) When we get home, we are are usually hungry and tired, so having to cook a big meal often results in 2 grouchy adults.

Enter the crockpot!  Last Sunday, I prepared a meal and set it by 6:45AM.  We arrived home to a delicious aroma, and all we had to do was set the table and make rice.  Afterward, M slept easily for her nap and we actually had time for leisure, rather than the crazy rushing-around that often occurs.

What I made:

2-3 chicken breasts (whatever I had on hand), unthawed
1/2 plain yogurt
2 Roma tomatoes, purreed in a blender
1 onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves
1 finger length fresh ginger
1/8 cup freshly chopped cilantro

seasonings:
1/2 chili powder
1/2 tspgaram masala
salt
pepper
1-2 tsp Chicken Curry powder (We have it premade by my MIL,  but this is a great alterative! We have a lot of this brand on hand.)

Mix together the seasonings and add a little water.  Defrost the chicken and coat it with the seasoning mix. Add the rest of the ingrediepnts together and place in the crockpot.  Cook on high for 3-4 hours, depending on your crockpot's settings.  In the last 10 minutes before serving, add chopped cilantro. Enjoy with rice or chapatis.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The baby years

Seven quick takes: Valentine's Day

Making a list and checking it twice